What are mouth ulcers?
A mouth ulcer is a painful sore in the mouth. It appears on the tongue, the lips, and the gums or inside the cheeks. The first sign of the ulcer may be a tingling, burning sensation inside the mouth. They can occur either single or in clusters. They are usually white or yellow in color, surrounded by red halos. Usually they heal within 7 to 10 days.
Common Causes of Mouth ulcers
- Nutritional deficiencies such as iron, vitamins, especially vitamin B12 and C
- Poor dental hygiene
- Food allergies
- Infections particularly herpes simplex
- Biting the cheek
- Hormonal imbalance
- Bowel disease
- Skin disease
- Coeliac disease (intolerance to a protein called gluten, found in wheat, rye and barley)
- Crohn's disease
- Reiter's syndrome (urethral discharge followed by conjunctivitis and arthritis)
- HIV infection
What are the symptoms?
- A round sore or sores inside the mouth
- Swollen and red skin around the sores
- Problems with chewing or toothbrushing because of the tenderness
- Irritation of the sores by salty, spicy or sour foods
- Loss of appetite
How are mouth ulcers treated?
Fortunately, most mouth ulcers do not need specific treatment and heal naturally without medication they heal within 7 to 10 days. You can help a mouth ulcer to heal faster by using a soft toothbrush and avoiding hard foods. By keeping mouth clean and healthy.
Topical antihistamines, antacids, corticosteroids, topical anaesthesia or applications meant to soothe painful ulcers may be helpful. Oral supplements of vitamin B12 and C , iron can be taken.
Ulcers persisting longer than three weeks may require the attention of a medical practitioner.
Some Home Remedies for Mouth Ulcers
- Extract the milk of coconut and gargle with this 3-4 times a day.
- Keep 1 glass of chilled water and 1 glass of hot water ready at hand. Gargle alternately with hot and cold water.
- Boil 2 cups of water. Add 1 cup fenugreek leaves and remove. Cover and keep for sometime. Strain the water and gargle 2-3 times a day.
- Boil 1 tsp of coriander seeds in 1 cup of water. Remove when slightly warm gargle. Repeat 3-4 times a day.
- Chew on 5-6 tulsi leaves and sip some water. Repeat 5-6 times a day.
- Eating raw tomatoes helps rid mouth ulcers. Can also gargle with tomato juice 3-4 times a day.
- Mix 7 parts of sugar candy (mishri) with 1 part of camphor. Apply on the blister.
- Mix a pinch of turmeric powder to 1 tsp glycerine and apply.
Things to be remembered :
- A mouth ulcer is the loss or erosion of the delicate epithilium lining tissue of the mouth (mucus membrane).
- The most common cause is mechanical injury, such as accidentally biting your cheek.
- In most cases, mouth ulcers are harmless and resolve by themselves in a few days without the need for medical treatment.
- Aphthous ulcers are recurring ulcers with no known cause that affect around 20 per cent of the population.
- If your mouth ulcers don’t clear up within a few days, or if you are troubled by frequent attacks, see your doctor.