"In ancient Arabic, wisdom tooth stands for “tooth of maturity” or “the adulthood teeth”. Those are usually the last ones to erupt in the mouth and hence it is called the "last tooth". Due to the fact that wisdom teeth cause pain when they are erupting they are referred to as "love teeth" in Korean."
A wisdom tooth, in humans, is any of the usual four third molars. Wisdom teeth usually appear between the ages of 17 and 25. About 35% of the population do not develop wisdom teeth at all. Sometimes the wisdom tooth fails to erupt completely through the gum bed and the gum at the back of the wisdom tooth extends over the biting surface, forming a soft tissue flap or lid around the tooth called an operculum. Teeth covered by an operculum can be difficult to clean with a toothbrush. Additional cleaning techniques can include using a needle-less plastic syringe to vigorously wash the tooth with moderately pressured water or to softly wash it with hydrogen peroxide. However, debris and bacteria can easily accumulate under an operculum, which may cause pericoronitis, a common infection problem in young adults with partial impactions that is often exacerbated by occlusion with opposing third or second molars. Common symptoms include a swelling and redness of the gum around the eruption site, difficulty in opening the mouth, a bad odor or taste in the mouth, and pain in the general area which may also run down the entire lower jaw or possibly the neck. Untreated pericoronitis can progress to a much more severe infection.
How to get rid of wisdom tooth pain?
If you prefer not to use any of the drugs/medicines then there are a variety of methods that could assist in the problem :
- Salt Water – Rinsing your mouth with warm saltwater is a simple yet effective form of wisdom teeth pain relief. All you need to do is add a tablespoon of salt to a glass of water and gargle the solution for a few moments. As well as pain relief this method will also help to kill any bacteria around the wisdom tooth, reduce infection and remove any food debris from the area which could cause irritation.
- Ice – Applying ice to the painful area can give you instant but temporary relief from the pain you are suffering. This can be accomplished by sucking on an ice cube or holding an ice pack to the painful area.
- Clove Oil – Clove oil is a surprisingly effective natural form of wisdom teeth pain relief. Simply apply the oil using a cotton bud or finger directly onto the painful area and you should feel almost instant pain relief.
- Massage – Very gently massaging the affected are can provide a certain amount of pain relief from your wisdom teeth buy promoting blood circulation in the area which in turn increases your gums healing ability. However if your gum is particularly swollen this can worsen the situation so use caution.
- Tobacco/Smoking – Tobacco is bad for your health in all situations but a particularly bad idea when in need of wisdom teeth pain relief. It will cause further irritation to your gums, increases adrenaline production (which makes you feel more pain), and the nicotine blocks endorphins (which means you feel even more pain). Stopping smoking, chewing tobacco, or using snuff really will do wonders for your pain.